Affidavit released in stabbing of 86-year-old man

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) New information has been released about the April stabbing death of an 86-year-old man in northeast Wichita.

Boe Wayne Adams and Yvonne Mosqueda are charged with aggravated robbery, theft and first-degree murder in the death of Otto Meyer.

According to the arrest affidavit, the man who helped maintain Meyer's rental properties found him dead inside one of his rentals and called 911.

The maintenance man said Meyer had expressed concern about showing off one of his properties to a "guy" who was acting strangely.

Meyer's wife told police she received a call on April 27 from a private number asking her to wire money to purchase a property in Oklahoma that her husband was interested in. The caller said someone would come to her home to collect the money but she refused.

After his death, police say there were several attempts to use Meyer's credit card at the First Council Casino in Newkirk, Oklahoma. A $500 transaction was approved but a $200 transaction was declined.

Detectives contacted the Kay County Sheriff's Office and Tribal Police and provided them with pictures of Boe Adams. They confirmed that he and a woman were seen on the casino floor.

Adams' cousins said he had approached them and said he needed a gun to rob a young man who had "gold, drugs, and guns in a trunk." They said he was trying to leave town, but they refused to help him.

Detectives also learned that a call from Adams' mother's phone was made to Meyer's phone on April 28. Adams' mother lives in an apartment owned by Meyer.

Adams' uncle told police he drove his nephew to several locations because he said he needed to cash some money orders.

On April 29, police received a call from an employee at Speedy Cash, 1050 W. Pawnee, who said a man was trying to cash a $5,850 check associated with a deceased account holder. The signature line was endorsed by "Otto L. Meyer" and memo line read "Oklahoma prop."

The employee tried to stall Adams until police arrived, but he left the business. He was approached by a detective outside but ran from the scene. He was later located in a bush and arrested.

She said they stole Meyers' truck and left it at the Hotel at Waterwalk. They threw away the clothes they were wearing and tossed Meyers' wallet out of the window after taking the cash.

An autopsy report shows Meyers suffered a broken arm, skull fractures, multiple blunt injuries to the head and face and sharp force injuries to his left hand.

Adams and Mosqueda remain in the Sedgwick County jail on a $250,000 bond.