Crazy photos out of Western Kansas circulating on Facebook are backed by a report from Wheatland Electric.
Tuesday morning, a Wheatland Electric Cooperative line crew responded to a routine outage call near Lakin.
"Upon arrival, crews found the meter off and proceeded to isolate the source of the outage," Wheatland Electric says. "A Wheatland lineman patrolling line nearby discovered a bobcat that had come into contact with energized lines. The bobcat climbed to the top of a 35-foot electric pole and made contact simultaneously with a phase wire and a ground wire which resulted in the animal's electrocution."
Wheatland Electric says the line crew used a bucket truck to remove the animal, "assess any further damage to infrastructure and make the necessary repairs to restore power to the affected meter."
Once power was restored, Wheatland says it contacted the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism office in Pratt to report the incident.
"This unfortunate incident is a valuable reminder that coming into contact with energized electrical lines can result in tragic loss of both animals and humans," a Wheatland Electric spokesperson said.