Kansas State resident hall evacuated due to fire

MANHATTAN, Kan. Kansas State University says a residence hall was evacuated due to an early morning fire.

School officials reported a fire in Wefald Hall on at 4:43 a.m. Friday.

The fire was quickly extinguished by the building's suppression system, although Manhattan firefighters were called in as well.

Students were evacuated from the hall and relocated to Kramer Dining Center.

Students were allowed back into their rooms around 8 a.m.

Staff says 24 students are being relocated because of water damage to their rooms.

A university employee inspecting conditions after the fire slipped on some standing water and was injured. No students were hurt.

Denison Avenue between Claflin Avenue and Platt Street is now reopened after being closed to allow access for emergency vehicles.