TOPEKA, Kan. (RELEASE) The CDC estimates that more than 1.1 million people are living with HIV in the United States.
National HIV Testing Day is June 27. This year’s theme is, “Test Your Way. Do It Today”. The campaign encourages all adults to get tested for HIV and know their status.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that everyone between the ages of 13-64 get tested for HIV at least once as part of routine health care, and that people with certain risk factors get tested more often.
One in seven people who have HIV don’t know it. If you have HIV, getting medical care and taking prescribed medication regularly helps you live a longer, healthier life and also lowers the chances of passing HIV on to others.
Organizations throughout Kansas will offer HIV testing events in observance of National HIV Testing Day. Some of these events include:
• Healthy Living Project will be providing FREE rapid HIV testing Tuesday June 27 from 11:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m.
Healthy Living Project is located at 8650 W 95th Street Overland Park, KS 66212.
• Positive Connections will be providing FREE rapid HIV testing Tuesday June 27 from 9:00 a.m. -6:00 p.m. Positive Connections will also be hosting a Health Fair (Wellness checks, STD education, etc.) from 2:00 p.m. -4:00 p.m.
Both events will be at Positive Connections which is located 2044 SW Fillmore Street Topeka, KS 66604. They will also be providing hot dogs, chips, and a drink to anyone who comes and gets tested.
• Hunter Health Clinic will be providing FREE conventional and rapid HIV testing at the New Jerusalem Mission on June 27 from 11:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
The New Jerusalem Mission is located at 209 E Broadway Street, Newton, KS 67114.
• Positive Directions along with Walgreens are teaming together to provide HIV testing at Walgreens in support of National HIV Testing Day. HIV testing will be available from June 27-29 from 9:00 a.m. -5:00 p.m.
Walgreens is located 803 N Broadway St, Wichita, KS 67217. Positive Directions will be providing FREE rapid HIV testing.
• Sedgwick County Division of Health will provide FREE HIV testing Tuesday June 27 from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Sedgwick County Division of Health (SCDOH) Sexually Transmitted Infections Clinic is located at 2716 W Central, Wichita, KS.
To find HIV counseling and testing sites near you visit Get Tested website.