KWCH-TV, a Gray Television station, is currently accepting applications for a full-time Morning News Executive Producer to join the #1-rated news team in Kansas.
Are you a medium to large market “now” producer, with a hungry rundown, chock-full of urgent and impactful information ready to take the next step into management?
Are you a small market EP or senior producer that dreams big, and wishes you had the tools and the team to really showcase strong enterprise and great storytelling every day?
Do you excel at winning breaking news and weather coverage EVERY SINGLE DAY?
If so, then this job is for you! The successful candidate will lead a team of producers, reporters, and anchors to produce a 4.5 hour morning newscast that stands out as best in the market.
You should know how to “produce up” a newscast. You should live and breathe digital and thrive at integrating it into your shows. You should be inspired to be a strong leader and creative teacher that helps to create and instill a positive learning and working culture in the mornings.
You should love weather. Because we get a lot of the toughest weather Mother Nature can dish out.
We’re seeking someone with 3+ years of news producing experience. Prior experience as a news manager or Executive Producer is beneficial and not required.
Wichita is a great city with a lot to do. We offer a fantastic salary and benefits package in a community where the cost of living is relatively low.
A Bachelor’s degree in a related field, and a valid driver’s license with a good driving record, are required.
To apply, download an application, then send it, your reel, a link to your LinkedIn page, and one paragraph explaining why you are the best candidate for this job to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• A strong leader and great teacher who creates a positive work environment.
• Manage a team of producers, reporters, and anchors committed to producing a #1-rated 4-and-a-half hour morning newscast on KWCH and KSCW.
• Maintain working knowledge of current events, community issues, and local contacts
• Strong news judgement and working knowledge of current events and community issues impacting viewers here in Kansas and around the world
• Work with a team of news managers to teach and train producers
• Coordinate story assignments with assignment manager, and news managers, sometimes even when you are off duty.
• Oversee the stacking, content, and delivery of weather, sports, and other segments in the newscast.
• Develop a daily digital strategy to make sure there is a strong synergy across all platforms.
• Collaborate with news operations staff to build graphics
• Act as leader in facilitating teamwork of staff members
• Accurately edit video with an eye for visual elements that make stories understandable to the viewer
• Work with directors and anchors on presentation of stories
• Assist reporters on story development, story expectations, and accurately gathering information under pressure
• Write creative headlines and teases
• Research and brainstorm story ideas, present ideas in editorial meetings
• Generate promotable story ideas daily; work with promotions team to develop and/or implement a strategy for promoting morning news content.
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned
• Write news stories
• Monitor competition’s shows and websites for missed leads
• Assist producers in formatting other newscasts
Essential Skills & Abilities:
• Strong leadership skills
• Excellent communication skills
• Demonstrate solid news judgment
• Maintain strong journalistic ethics
• Strong initiative and attention to detail
• Be creative and help lead team to create compelling and memorable newscasts
• Clear, concise, conversational writing skills
• Long track record of producing compelling content across multiple platforms
• Strong research skills, including online research using various search engines
• Ability to stay current with national and local news/weather
• Extensive knowledge of social media
• Ability to meet tight deadlines and work well under pressure
• Ability to work independently with little supervision
• Demonstrate leadership through training and mentoring less experienced staff members; guide others to get the desired outcome
• Ability to remain positive and foster a positive work environment; work well with co-workers
• Knowledge of web posting software
• Edit video and audio on industry standard equipment
• Build graphics and use effectively in shows
• Handle and adjust to last-minute changes
• Make quick, accurate decisions during the on-air process
The position offers a competitive wage and comprehensive benefit package, including group health & dental, paid time off, 401(k) and more.
2815 E 37th St N
Wichita KS 67219
KWCH-TV / Gray Television Group, Inc. participates in E-Verify, is a drug-free company and requires pre-employment drug testing. Also, if applicable to the position, MVR/Driver’s review and testing. EOE (All positions must show flexibility for evolving or changing operational needs. Hours, shifts, responsibilities, etc. are subject to change at management discretion.) Gray Television Group, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical handicap or marital status. Discriminatory employment practices are specifically prohibited by the Federal Communications Commission. If you believe your Equal Employment Rights have been violated, you may contact the FCC in Washington, D.C. 20054, or other appropriate state or local agencies.