Are you an innovative and aggressive multi-media journalist who consistently goes the extra mile to win the big story on-air and online?
Do you excel at breaking news and have a resume reel that is full of creative and active standups, live shots, and storytelling?
Do you love using social media to advance your story, and to engage with viewers to get the next big lead?
Sunflower Broadcasting, Inc., consisting of KWCH-TV, KSCW-TV, and satellite stations KBSD-TV, KBSH-TV, KBSL-TV, is currently accepting applications for a full-time Multi-Media Reporter. Join the dominant #1 news station in Kansas and work in a state-of-the-art digital newsroom.
This isn't just any job. To be successful here you must be a proven leader. Someone who knows the news before he/she arrives in the office, and has an EXCLUSIVE in their back pocket to lead the late show.
You must excel in the field, connecting with viewers, delivering news with urgency and accuracy, and handling breaking news and other unscripted situations.
You must have dynamic reporting skills to cover a wide range of assignments.
You must enterprise story ideas daily, be a compelling storyteller and have a natural, conversational delivery. You must be innovative and aggressive, ready to go the extra mile every day to get "the get."
You must excel at engaging audiences and reporting via social media. You're active on Facebook and Twitter, and already trying out some new social media program that most newsrooms haven't even heard about yet.
Candidates must have experience editing on a non-linear system, and a history of positive, effective relationships with producers and managers.
A minimum of two years’ reporter and photojournalist experience required. You CAN get a job here right out of school – and your website, reel, and social media engagement must really rock!
A Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or a related field is preferred, and a valid driver’s license, with a clean driving record, is required.
• Generate, gather and provide news and information in the most accurate, appealing, timely and creative way
• Use writing skills for on-air and on-line
• Write and post website original stories prior to airing of the television version
• Demonstrate sound news judgment and ability to tell stories with pictures and natural sound
• Must be able to utilize non-linear editing equipment on a daily basis
• Must be a visual storyteller and have the ability to come up with creative stand-ups and ways to explain a story
• Develop and maintain sources
• Participate in story selection process through meetings; attendance at editorial meetings is required, play an active role in editorial process
• Attend/host/speak at community service, schools and community events; meet and greet viewers
• Various shift work will be required; holiday work is required
• Critique, feedback and training are part of the job
• Follow clothing and appearance guidelines
• Perform other duties as assigned
Essential Skills & Abilities
• Be able to write clearly, accurately and in an easy-to-understand manner
• Possess excellent interview and conversational writing skills
• Excellent live reporting skills and strong on-camera presentation skills
• Compelling story-teller
• Ability to shoot and edit video; create personalized stories
• Able to produce and post original content to our websites
• Ability to generate daily and enterprise story ideas and effectively work a beat
• Able to play an active role in the editorial process
• Able to use social media outlets to engage viewers
• Must be able to work well under pressure and with limited supervision
• Strong initiative and attention to detail
• Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving in a manner that will work well with co-workers, supervisors and viewers
This is a tremendous opportunity, with a competitive wage and complete benefit package, including group health & dental, 401(k), PTO and more.
2815 E 37th St N
Wichita KS 67219
KWCH-TV / Gray Television Group, Inc. participates in E-Verify, is a drug-free company and requires pre-employment drug testing. Also, if applicable to the position, MVR/Driver’s review and testing. EOE (All positions must show flexibility for evolving or changing operational needs. Hours, shifts, responsibilities, etc. are subject to change at management discretion.) Gray Television Group, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical handicap or marital status. Discriminatory employment practices are specifically prohibited by the Federal Communications Commission. If you believe your Equal Employment Rights have been violated, you may contact the FCC in Washington, D.C. 20054, or other appropriate state or local agencies.