Nancy Stone, Chicago Tribune
October 12, 2012
Michaels staffer Amber Voorheis offers these how-tos for the necklace she designed and made:
1. Draw leaf-shape stencil on cardboard and cut it out.
2. Trace stencil on the back of free hardware store paint chips in many shades of gray; cut out.
3. Using 4-inch cardboard disc ($1.49) as base, attach one screw eye ($3.99 for 36) on opposite disc sides ¿ 180 degrees apart; Place glue on the screw first for extra security.
4. Arrange petals in overlapping pattern as shown.
5. Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge ($6.49, 8 oz.) to entire disc surface using foam brush ($.49); individually attach petals to disc with more Mod Podge.
6. Cut to desired length; attach chain ($3.99, 4 feet) to screw eyes.
7. Attach necklace closure (6 sets, $2.99).