1. Most people do not need to physically go into an office. People can renew by mail or online saving a trip into the office.
2. If you must go into an office, do not go in the last week of the month. The end of the month has always meant longer lines in the tag office because people wait until the last moment to renew. The middle of the month is generally the best.
3. If you've lost your vehicle tag renewal notice, you can reprint it at http://mvs.dmv.kdor.ks.gov/PrintRenewals/
For driver's license, we have put out these recommendations every spring: http://ksrevenue.org/CMS/content/04-19-2013-DL-Summer-Lines.pdf
In addition to those:
1. Remember that we've added an office in Derby. We have also enhanced staffing and moved to a larger, more comfortable location in Andover.
2. Remember that our Wichita, Andover and Derby offices are all open Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. instead of just four days a week as they had been for the past three decades.
3. Be sure to bring the correct documents with you so you don't need to make an additional trip. A list of the required documents are available here: http://ksrevenue.org/dmvobtainingdl.html
4. Not all tasks require a visit to the driver licensing office. Drivers can change their address, order a driving record and check their license status online from our website ksrevenue.org from the Vehicles section.
5. For Derby, Andover and Wichita, people can get in line from their computer or cell phone and receive alerts as their spot in line approaches. Once they have a spot in line, they do not need to wait in the office for their number to be called.
6. Mornings are usually the best time to come into our offices and the offices are generally busiest during lunch time.
As of today, the title and registration system has successfully handled almost 6.7 million transaction and the time it takes the system to process a renew is less than 4 minutes statewide.
Information provided by Jeannine Koranda, Kansas Department of Revenue
Tips for renewing your tags or drivers license