School of Rock in Wichita, Kansas wants kids to have an exciting, unique summer. Instead of sitting around all day on the couch, School of Rock is inviting kids of all skill levels to enroll in their rocking summer camps. With options from 1-day workshops to 10-day camps, specializing in everything from guitars to keyboards, everyone can find a class to fit their schedule.
The main camp attraction this summer at School of Rock Wichita is the Rock and Roll Performance Summer Camps. Slots are open to kids age 7-18, and all skill levels are accepted. Students will get together as a group to learn a set of songs from a particular band or era. At the end of the camp, the students will put on their own rock show. The standard Rock and Roll Performance camps are split up into three different groups:
- 10 day Rock Camp 6/03-6/14
- 5 day Rock Camp 6/24-6/28
- 10 day Rock Camp 7/15-7/26
For more advanced rockers, School of Rock is offering a special Rock and Roll Performance Camp called Recording/Writing Camp. In this camp, students will work with staff musicians to write and record their own music. This intensive 10-day camp is recommended for students who have a basic interest and knowledge about writing music. Like the other camps, the students will put on a concert at the end of the camp. The Recording/Writing Camp is scheduled for July 29 – August 9. More information about all of the Rock and Roll Performance Summer Camps can be found at the School of Rock camp page.
For campers who can’t commit to a 5- or 10-day camp, School of Rock Wichita is also offering 1-day Workshops. These sessions will focus on a particular instrument and be taught by a single School of Rock staff musician. The 1-day scheduled workshops are:
- Greatest Guitar Riffs with Trevor- 6/19
- Soloing Over Riffs and 3 Chord Progressions- 7/2
- Killer Keys- 7/9
- Greatest Guitar Riffs with Ryan- 7/10
Current School of Rock students have been hard at work finishing up their quarter and preparing for their upcoming rock shows. Prospective students and summer camp attendants are encouraged to check out School of Rock students in action. Here’s a list of upcoming School of Rock Wichita concerts:
- May 18- House Band at Ribfest, 2pm (free with admission)
- May 30- The Punk Show at Jerry’s, 7pm (free)
- June 1- The Punk Show at Jerry’s, 7 pm (free )
- June 1- House Band at Riverfest, 11am (free with admission)
- June 7- The Metal Show at Jerry’s, 7pm (free)
- June 8- The Southern Rock Show at Riverfest, 4pm (free with admission to Riverfest)
- June 9- The Metal Show at The Brickyard, 7 pm ($5 at the door)
- June 12- The Southern Rock Show TBD (free)
On June 29-30, five students from School of Rock Wichita will be traveling to Milwaukee, Wis. to play at Summerfest, the world’s largest music festival. Summerfest is holding the National School of Rock Battle of the Bands, a competition between different School of Rock schools. Being chosen to represent your school is a huge honor. To see information about the School of Rock Battle of the Bands, visit Summerfest online.
Disclosure: This content is provided by or on behalf of a local business. The content is not subject to the editorial policies of the FetchToto newsroom and is not reviewed for accuracy, objectivity or balance.