Whether you're a football fan or not, you probably have plans for "the big game" coming up this weekend. Often Super Bowl parties are marked by drinking and snacking on cheese dips, wings, pizza, and other savory snacks that don't help our waistlines so much. If you're on a diet and hosting or attending a party, here are some tips from TOPS Club (and me!).
- Use reduced-fat cheese, lean ground beef, & plenty of veggies if you're opting for nachos.
- Skip chips & dip and go for crunchy veggies like CELERY, CUCUMBERS, CARROTS, BELL PEPPERS and ranch dip. Use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream for an even healthier alternative.
- Make vegetarian chili and amp it up with plenty of beans, peppers, onions, and/or jalapenos. If you want to use meat, just make it lean ground beef or ground turkey.
- Order THIN crust and add lots of veggies as toppings - stay away from meats and extra cheese.
- Pop low-fat popcorn!
- Set out a fruit plate with strawberries, grapes, raspberries, blueberries, and apple slices.
- Make hummus and serve it with those crunchy veggies listed in tip #2.
Store-bought hummus, like Sabra Classic Hummus, has fewer calories than cheese dips (80 calories for 2 tablespoons). If you prefer to cut out some of the salt and extra chemicals in store-bought products, you can make your own hummus too!
- 15 oz garbanzo beans w/ liquid
- 1-2 cloves garlic, to taste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup roasted tahini - can be purchased at N&J's
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pine nuts, to taste
- Olive oil, drizzled over top to taste
- Paprika, to taste
Heat garbanzo beans and liquid in microwave for one to two minutes to soften. Combine with garlic, salt, tahini, and lemon juice in a food processor and blend to a creamy texture. Add pine nuts, olive oil, and paprika over the top of blend to taste and serve with veggies or pita chips.
In addition to watching your calorie intake, try to get some physical activity at half-time or during commercial breaks. Throw a football around outside or play a fun interactive video game. However you plan to enjoy the game, keep your health in mind, make some of those sensible swaps, but in the end cut yourself a break and ENJOY!