by Brian Heap
KWCH 12 Eyewitness News
1:03 PM CST, February 18, 2013
Two lottery winners may have to continue their celebration in jail. Police say they caused an explosion inside a west Wichita home last Friday, while celebrating with drugs.
Mary Jewett shares a duplex with one of the men near Nevada and Douglas. She heard a loud "boom" next door. "It shook my whole kitchen and it shook my kids bedroom," she said.
Wichita Police said the two brothers won a $75,000 lottery prize and decided to celebrate with marijuana and meth. They were apparently refilling butane torches used to light bongs when the furnace pilot light ignited the fumes.
"That took care of that celebration real fast, I guess," said Jewett with a laugh. The blast shattered a back window of the apartment.
Police arrested one man. The other was taken to a hospital for treatment of burns. Both face charges of drug possession.
Copyright © 2013, KWCH-TV