The grandparent and mother of a two-year-old who died after swallowing rust remover were among dozens who attended a poison prevention class Wednesday night in Arkansas City.
The class was put on by the University of Kansas Hospitals Poison Control Center.
"I had read about the story in the newspaper and said that I was interested in coming out and helping the community by providing some ways to make it safer for them," explains Educational Coordinator Daling McMoran.
Police say two-year-old Davin Manly died in October after accidentally swallowing the poison. His parents believe he may have mistaken the rust remover for water. His dad says he was under the supervision of a babysitter.
"We never want anyone to go through this. It's hard, one day at a time," said Sunshine Fortner, Manly's grandmother.
The class showed people how easily children can mistake chemicals for their favorite drinks, pills for candy and how to lock cabinets to prevent accidents.
Both organizers and Manly's family say if it saves one child's life it was a success.Fortner adds, "I know people at my work, after it happened, her husband built a cabinet that locked. So people have learned through this already."