Fire breaks out in a Wichita home. One man is inside, fast asleep. Does he survive? Yes, indeed he does. And, he gives credit to his pitbull terrier.
Jason Anderson was taking a nap during the afternoon in his house on West Maple, when cigarette butts dumped in a wastbasket set the house on fire.
"I woke up, the house was black and my dog was sniffing me with her nose," Anderson says. "The next thing I know, I wake up and I am surrounded by black and heat. I scrambled for what I had near me and got out!"
Anderson's two cats died in the fire.
Anderson says he had a smoke detector, but the batteries must have been dead because it didn't go off.
Investigators say damage is significant, but the house is repairable.
Wichita firefighters have been busy since the weather turned cold. They say the number of fires always goes up this time of year. Click here for tips on reducing the risk of a fire in your home during the cold winter months.