Charred beams, peeling insulation, even a melted bird feeder show why nearly nothing survived the fast fire that ripped through Mike and Becky Shatley's west Wichita home.
"I had just turned the TV off... went to bed. I heard two pops and looked around and said, what was that,” Mike said.
He got up. Walked down the hall. And saw the entire back deck covered in flames.
"He yelled down the hall and told me to get up and get out because the house was on fire,” Becky said.
That's what Becky did. But still trapped inside was her mother-in-law. A new neighbor got there before firefighters and went back inside with Mike.
"They were lucky they grabbed her when they did and brought her out,” Becky said.
"I was awestruck and I'm still appreciative of it,” Mike said.
You won't hear the Shatley's complain about all the things the fire destroyed. Instead, they'll talk to you about all the support they now have from their community... and the heroic actions of a new neighbor.
"At least we're alive and doing well,” Becky said.
The Shatley's believe an electrical issue may have started the fire. They also lost their dog and two cats in the fire.