A fire broke out Monday morning at the Hudson family's home on Barnes Lake Road near Hutchinson.
Inside the house were three little boys--all brothers. Their dad was out on the porch looking out for the school bus to come.
Eight-year-old Tyler saw the smoke and flames and ran out to tell his father who ran in to get the other two boys out. Moments later the house was engulfed in flames.
"Nowdays everything gives off gases," Hutchinson Battalion Fire Chief Darin Gehring says. "Everything is made of plastic or foam and it burns and is so toxic that it'll knock you out in nothing flat and kill you."
Gehring says Tyler, who has a developmental disability, is a hero. Tyler's mom and dad agree.
"I'm pretty proud of him," Edward Hudson says.
"Tyler pretty much saved his brothers," Patricia Hudson says. "He is the hero of the family."
The Hudsons lost everything in the fire--except that which they say counts the most.
"Got the family, and that's what matters," Patricia says.
And that might not be case were it not for Tyler's quick response.
The fire is still under investigation.
The American Red Cross is helping the Hudsons with temporary lodging and necessities.