TOPEKA, Kan. -

A Johnson County girl has died after contracting a rare bacterial infection found in freshwater lakes.

The girl's uncle says 9-year-old Hally Yust of Spring Hill, Kansas fell ill on Tuesday, she died on Wednesday.

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment said it was notified about Hally's death and that she had contracted primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAM) caused by Naegleria fowleri, a free-living amoeba.

The KDHE said Hally had been exposed to several different lakes. At this time, the department does not know exactly where she contracted the bacteria. Her family wants others to know how rare they say this occurrence is. They issued a statement regarding their daughter's death, you can read that here.

This is the second known case of PAM caused by Naegleria fowleri in Kansas.

In 2011, 14-year-old Andrew Chavez was infected during a swim at Winfield City Lake. He died five days after being admitted to the hospital.

The KDHE says the risk of infection is very low, but increases during the summer months when water temperatures rise and more people participate in water-related activities.

From 2004 to 2013, 34 cases were reported in the United States. Most cases have occurred in southern states.

Hally's family has set up a scholarship fund in her honor. You can send donations to: Hally "Bug" Yust K-State Women's Basketball Scholarship, Ahearn Fund, 1800 College Ave., Suite 138, Manhattan, KS 66502. 

The family says they hope to provide educational opportunities for young women who loved basketball as much as Hally.