SALINA, Kan. -

Fire investigators say a Salina house fire originated from the backyard barbeque grill. The fire in the 1000 block of North 11th St. spread from the backyard to the rear of the home and several other areas of the home Sunday, May 4 at 4 p.m.

Everyone in the home was able to get out before firefighters arrived on scene. The fire was difficult to contain because it damaged a gas meter causing a natural gas leak. Fire crews were able to shut down the gas supply and contain the fire.

The fire also damaged an energized power line. Westar Energy was able to respond and secure the downed line. Kansas Gas was also called to block a gas line in the alleyway near the home. There was extensive damage to the gas meter according to a press release from the city of Salina.

Extensive damage and number of resources used forced the city to sound a third alarm to the fire. This brought off-duty shift members to provide coverage for the city until the fire was put out.

The American Red Cross provided assistance and refreshments to the residents of the home and to firefighters because of the record heat.

Fire investigators are listing the fire as accidental. The amount of damage has not yet been determined. A nearby home had minor heat and fire damage as well.