Wednesday update: Wichita police have identified a 3-year-old boy who shot himself Tuesday night, and arrested mother's boyfriend for illegally owning that gun. His mother has not been charged.

Investigators say 3-year-old Jahmez Hunt found the gun in a cabinet above the refrigerator. Another child in the home discovered the gun earlier in the day and showed it to the other children.

Later, Jahmez Hunt used a chair to get on top of the counter and get the gun from the cabinet.  That's when the gun went off, hitting the boy in the chest.

The boy's mother, Henrietta Hunt, called 911 after hearing the gunshot.  He was taken to the hospital where he died during surgery.

Police say Jahmez Hunt was home with three siblings, ages eight and under, while his mother and her boyfriend were asleep in a back bedroom.

Police say the boyfriend, Mario Benjamin, owns the gun.  Because he is a convicted felon, he was arrested for criminal possession of a firearm late Tuesday. 

Benjamin was convicted of aggravated assault after an incident in 2006.

Henrietta Hunt said off-camera she didn't know a gun was in the home. She and her boyfriend work third shift. She said she cooked dinner for her kids about an hour before the shooting and went into a back bedroom to rest up. She woke up when she heard the gun shot.

The boy's three siblings were taken into police protective custody.


A young boy has died after suffering a gunshot wound to the chest.

It happened in the 500 block of East Lincoln just after 5 p.m. Tuesday.

Police said the two adults in the home called 911 to report that a 3-year-old had been shot in the chest. The child was not breathing at the scene.

"I was just at the corner and then I heard a couple booms. And then I came this way and seen them rushing out the little boy and pumping on him," said Lisa Barron, a mother herself. "It's kind of scary."

He was taken to the hospital for surgery where he later died from his injury.

"From what we're getting right now, it's very possible the mother and boyfriend were taking a nap," said Lt. Dennis Wilson, Wichita Police. "And the child located a gun in the kitchen area that was unsecured. And it appears to be accidental, but it's very possible the three year old shot himself."

Police said a 3, 4 and 5-year-old were also in the home during the incident, but were not hurt.  They are now in police protective custody.

The woman's boyfriend was taken downtown for questioning.

An eyewitness told Pilar Pedraza on scene that a man ran out of the house with the child in his arms. The witness also said a woman was standing in the front yard crying.

Police and Marc Bennett, Sedgwick County District Attorney, will remain on the scene through the night to continue the investigation.

Police said they are still trying to figure out who owns the gun.

Possible charges in 3-year-old shooting