The man accused of plotting to blow up Wichita's Mid-Continent Airport appeared in federal court Monday. Cameras were not allowed but FactFinder 12 Investigator Lauren Seabrook sat in on the proceedings.
Terry Loewen has pleaded not guilty to the charges against him, including attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction. Loewen previously worked for an aviation company at the airport and was arrested December 13, 2013 in a sting operation.
Police and federal agents say Loewen tried to bring a van filled with what he thought were explosives onto the tarmac at Mid-Continent.
Monday, at a hearing to update U.S. District Judge Monti Belot on the case's status, Loewen wore a red jumpsuit and was shackled at the ankles and behind his back. His wife sat in the 2nd row of the courtroom, just behind Loewen.
During the hearing, defense attorneys Tim Henry and John Henderson expressed concern about 30,000 pages of evidence from Google in regards to Lowen's computer history. They say the evidence shows computer code unreadable to the human eye.
Government prosecutors told the judge the computer code is only to back up other communications already provided in a readable format. They agreed to ask Google to provide a statement detailing that information sometime over the next 30 days.
Government prosecutors include:
Tony Mattivi - U.S. Attorneys Office, Topeka
David Smith - U.S. Attorneys Office, Kansas City
Erin Creegan - National Security Division, Counterterrorism Section, Washington D.C.
Henderson told the judge he will send motions for any concerns government prosecutors will not agree to.
Belot asked attorneys to move the case along as quick as possible. "Mr. Loewen's been in jail a long time," said Belot.
Loewen could be seen smiling.
"He's smiling but he knows he's going to be there a while, too," said Belot.
Attorneys all agreed to start discovery motions next month. Belot said some of that can be done by telephone in order to accommodate out-of-town attorneys.
Loewen is scheduled to be back in court August 2.