WINFIELD, Kan. -

A teenager has been charged in connection to a fire that destroyed a playground in Winfield.

The 16-year-old appeared in Cowley County court Monday. He is charged with one count of arson for burning down the local park.

The judge gave no other details about the charges during the hearing, other than the teen is under a curfew. He must remain either in his parents home or with his parents from 6:00 p.m. until 6:00 a.m. each morning.

The Island Park playground burned to the ground a second time in March of 2013. In 2008, a teen was responsible for that fire.

The playground reopened last month, after donations and rebuilding efforts within the community.

Parents and grandparents in the park Monday said they were happy kids were able to enjoy the park once again. 

Charlie Cravens, a grandfather, said he was thrilled. "This is great really. It's a great place to bring kids."

Cravens said he is still confused about the crime. 

"I still can't understand why somebody would do that," Cravens said. "I'm still kind of amazed that someone would actually do that."

Donna Harris said she's glad someone is being held responsible.

"I hope they give him the max," Harris said. "I hope he learns what destruction he did."

The teen also faces drug-related charges and will be subject to random substance screenings.

---

UPDATE: Cowley County District Attorney Christopher Smith confirmed Monday morning that an arrest had been made in the Island Park playground fire.

Smith said a juvenile would make a first appearance in court at 3 p.m. in connection with the fire.

Island Park burned down for the second time in the spring of 2013. Firefighters ruled the case arson.

-----

Charges could soon be filed in the second case of arson surrounding a Winfield playground.

Cowley County district attorney, Christopher Smith, said Friday, Winfield police had presented him with the case and he was reviewing the evidence.

Island park playground, in Winfield, was set on fire for the second time in March of 2013.

The community stepped in to rebuild the park which re-opened May 22, 2014.

A teen was responsible for burning the park to the ground the first time in 2008. Newscow.net (http://bit.ly/1p2Ck9f) reports juveniles may be responsible for the second fire as well.