The Sedgwick County Sheriff's Office in conjunction with Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad, the Wichita Police Department, and the Kansas Highway Patrol held a "Cops on Rails/Officer on the Train" enforcement Wednesday.
Deputies traveled on trains to observe and report drivers who failed to stop for approaching trains. Violations can be cited under K.S.A. 8-1551, which carries a $195.00 fine in addition to $98.00 court cost.
Officers wrote 10 citations and issued 9 warnings during the three hour operation.
Below are six simple rules to follow when near a railroad crossing:
- Never drive around lowered gates - it's illegal and deadly.
- If your vehicle stalls on a crossing, immediately get everyone out and far away from the tracks. Call your local law enforcement agency for assistance.
- Be aware that trains cannot stop quickly.
- Always expect a train! Freight trains do not follow set schedules.
- Never race a train to the crossing - even if you tie, you lose.
- Always look and listen in both directions before trying to cross any railroad track.