LIBERAL, Kan. -

A piece of equipment that exploded at an ethanol plant in Liberal may have caused over $1 million in damages.

The Seward County Fire Department was called out to Arkalon Energy, LLC shortly after 7 p.m. on Sunday.

Sedward County Fire Chief Mike Rice says plant officials told fire crews a piece of equipment that dries corn had exploded on the second floor of the building. The explosion blew out three walls of the second floor, and blew panels off the building.

Fire crews stayed on the scene until 3:18 Monday morning. They were called back at 5:23 a.m. when the fire re-ignited. Rice says fire had gotten into insulation and vent piping used to exit heat out of the building. Crews were finally released from the scene at 12:37 p.m.

The company and its insurance company say the explosion may have been caused by a natural gas explosion in the combustion chamber of the dryer.

No one was hurt.