WICHITA, Kan. -

Wichita firefighters are searching for a cause in a southeast Wichita house fire.

Crews were called to the scene in the 1700 block of S. Butternut, near Harry and 143rd St. East, around 10:30 p.m.

Firefighters arrived at the scene to find an attached garage fully involved. The fire spread to the back of the home.

"We arrived and we found flames, saw flames in the air as far as two miles away," said Battalion Chief John Turner with the Wichita Fire Department. "There was a fully involved garage that was attached to the house. We immediately stretched lines to the house and were able to protect the house."

It took crews about 30 minutes to get the fire under control.

Homeowners Larry and Joleen Webb said the family was getting ready to go to bed, when his daughter noticed the fire in the garage. Larry, Joleen and their three daughters all made it out of the house safely, but the family dog died in the fire.

Joleen tells Eyewitness News they brought the dog inside the garage the night before because of the potential for severe weather Saturday night. Because the fire began in the garage, the dog was trapped before the family had a chance to get him out.

"Well, he was in the kennel right there, that's where we keep him when it's bitterly cold or if we know there's going to be lightning or just dangerous outside for him," Joleen said. "We heard there was supposed to be severe weather so we put him in that night and... He was a great dog. It's going to be hard."

The owner said a car was also lost in the fire.

The case remains under investigation.