You can start buying fireworks legally in Wichita Friday, June 27 through Saturday, July 5. Even with the recent rainfall, it's still important to put precautions into place when shooting fireworks to avoid emergencies.
The City of Wichita offers some suggestions to help prevent accidents and injuries:
- Attend a fireworks show
- Keeping fireworks away from grassy areas
- Avoid lighting fireworks if it's windy
- Purchase legal fireworks in town
- Place a garden hose or water bucket nearby in case of an emergency
- Closely supervise children using fireworks
- Use fireworks as they are designed to be used
The Wichita Fire Department as well as the Wichita Police Department will enforce local fireworks laws. Improper use could result in citations or confiscations of illegal fireworks. A $2,500 fine and a year in jail is possible if convicted of these crimes.
For non-emergency firework complaints call 316-290-1011 from 6:30 p.m. to 3 a.m. July 3 through 5.
The Wichita Fire Department wants to know you what you think about the city's current fireworks ordinance. Click here to give your input.