WICHITA, Kan. -

Wichita firefighters say a florescent light fixture is the source of a strange smell that caused several shoppers to become ill inside a west Wichita grocery store.

Hazmat crews responded to the scene at Dillons, Central and Maize, around 7 p.m. Monday night. Six people reported smelling something in the store, and feeling faint.

All patients refused treatment once crews arrived.

The smell came from near the pharmacy inside the store. The fire department cleared the scene after finding nothing suspicious.

Capt. Stuart Bevis, Wichita Fire investigator, said the ballast inside the fixtures can sometimes fail and overheat which makes an awful smell. Although it is unusual for someone to get sick from the odor.