Check your sidewalks. If you have cracks or it's buckled, you may be getting a letter from the city to fix it.

"We thought that the city owned and maintained the sidewalks, but I guess not," said Wichita Homeowner Rahmie Reed.

Reed learned that lesson after getting a $630 bill in the mail from the City of Wichita to fix her sidewalk. And it could happen to you.

If you see an "X" on the sidewalk in your neighborhood, chances are you will get a letter from the city.

Reed got the letter from the City April 8th. It said someone complained about hazards on the sidewalk outside of her house.

"My husband came out to look because we hadn't noticed any concrete raised or anything like that," Reed said.

But a city engineer inspected it and put an "X" on every section that needs to be fixed.

The couple has 3 options. Level out the sidewalk, hire a licensed contractor to repair the concrete or let the City's contractor do the work for $630.

If they don't pay the city on time, the bill gets tacked onto their property taxes

"Which would raise our house payment $12 a month for five years, with interest," Reed said.

"After checking with private contractors we discovered that the City's work was much less expensive," said Wichita Homeowner J.C. Combs.

Combs just had the work done on his sidewalk on Belmont, he says he got the letter last year.

"You can see they did a really nice job," Combs said. "They were extremely careful and they did it rather quickly and then they were gone."

His bill was $985.

We asked the city and found out homeowners can't challenge the sidewalk assessment, the only option is to defer payments for one year.

Reed knows she's not the only one who got a bill.

"There is "X"s on the sidewalk all the way down to Meridian at least," Reed said.

The highest bill we saw was more than $4,000.

The Wichita Assistant City Engineer says homeowners can ask to have the sidewalk reevaluated after the "X" is put on, which could lower the costs.

Homeowners can also reapply each year to have the payment deferred if they can prove it will cause financial hardship.