Sunday was a busy day for Hutchinson fire crews. Deputy Fire Chief Doug Hanen says crews responded to three separate fires within three hours.
The first happened in the 300 block of Crescent Boulevard. A kitchen caught fire in a home causing around $20,000 in damage. Crews had that fire out in around 15 minutes and no one was hurt.
Chief Hanen says the people who live in the home were outside at the time of the fire. One person went inside and smelled smoke, then called the fire department.
Crews were on that fire scene for around two hours.
Crews were also called to a grass fire in the 800 block of N. Kent Road at around 3:45. Around a half-acre was on fire and firefighters made short work of it. Chief Hanen says a resident was burning trash and the fire got out of control.
Then, at 5:56 pm, crews were called to the 3600 block of N. Lucille for another grass fire. Around 10 acres of very thick brush burned a quarter to a half mile off the road. The fire also caught a small cabin on fire.
Firefighters had that fire under control in about a half-hour. Damage to the cabin is estimated at around $5,000.
Chief Hanen says this fire was caused by a squirrel getting into a transformer causing sparks to set the grass on fire.
No injuries were reported in any of the fires.
Crews kept an eye on the last fire scene through the night to make sure it doesn't re-ignite.
The fire department reminds residents to be extremely careful with outdoor burning. The wind was very light today and conditions are extremely dry.
Chief Hanen also says it's important for residents to avoid areas where fire units are working during grass fires. Smoke can hinder visibility and increased traffic in the area can hinder them even further.