HUTCHINSON, Kan. -

A heater malfunction is blamed for an early morning blaze at Midwest Superstore.

The fire broke out about four o'clock Friday morning in the 1100 block of East 30th Avenue in Hutchinson. Deputy Fire Chief Doug Hanen said a delivery driver called in the alarm after spotting smoke coming from the building. Several cars were in the vicinity of the fire, but none sustaining significant damage.

Firefighters forced their way in and were met with moderate smoke in the body shop area. Crews were able to make their way around the vehicles and locate the small fire and put it out. Crews spent a couple of hours ventilating smoke from the building. Damage was estimated at $50,000 due to electrical repairs yet to be made.