More pets runaway near the 4th of July than any other time of the year. Loud fireworks scare many animals prompting them to runaway from home.
Melissa Houston with the Kansas Humane Society says the day after Independence is the busiest of the year.
"There are just so many dogs that run off and a lot of them come here. We try our hardest to find their owners but it is a chaotic time," Houston said.
Houston says pet owners can take precautions now to avoid making a trip to search for their dog or cat at the shelter.
- Keep dog inside & only take outside on a leash
- Play music or keep the TV on to drown out fireworks noises from outside
- Keep a recent photo of your dog you can use if your dog does get out
- Keep collar on your animal and micro-chip every pet
- Ask vet if your pet needs a sedative if they get really anxious or upset
- Don't leave dog outside on attended during holiday weekend
- check petharbor.com for lost pet everyday, and go into shelter to check everyday