PARK CITY, Kan. -

Lightning from Sunday night's storms is being blamed for sparking a fire that damaged a home in Park City.

Sedgwick County fire crews responded to 6931 N. Grove around 10:45 Sunday night. Once on scene, they found fire and smoke primarily in the attic of the home. Crews were able to extinguish the fire quickly and keep it from spreading into much of the house.

A husband, his wife and their small baby were able to make it out of the home safely, thanks to working smoke alarms in their house.

"These folks, their smoke detectors alerted them and they did the right thing and called 9-1-1," said Sedgwick County Deputy Fire Marshal Bill Hinkle. "They called and let our guys come and take care of business."

An official damage estimate hasn't been released yet, but damage is expected to be extensive because the lightning strike also caused damage to the electrical system in the home. Something Hinkle says is fairly common when it comes to lightning strikes.

Click here for Storm Shots

"I've seen it blow electric outlets and sockets off walls and cause no fire at all, just blow the electrical system out," said Hinkle. "This one just happened to cause the fire."

Lightning strikes to a home that actually spark a fire are considered rare. Hinkle said some people use lightning protection on their homes like lightning rods, but even then, strikes aren't preventable so the best thing you can do is make sure your smoke detectors are working and never try to put out a fire yourself.

Neighbors said witnessing the fire and seeing the damage caused by the strike was eye-opening.

"It made me kind of realize what something like that can do," said neighbor Matt Stewart. "You kind of assume there's a lightning rod built into every house and that it's always going to be 'okay', but in this case it wasn't."