A Wichita family learns their baby has been exposed to measles after eating at an East Wichita restaurant.
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment first told us Thursday of the two confirmed cases in Wichita. Tonight, we know where it originated.
Eyewitness reporter Michael Schwanke spoke with the mother of a 3-month-old recovering after contracting the virus while eating at Sal's Japanese Steakhouse in late June.
The steakhouse says it was a female employee who had the measles, the health department was able to trace it to Sal's.
The 3-month-old who contracted the virus attends a Wichita childcare center. Other parents who have children attending Princeton Children's Center were sent home with a warning letter from the health department saying they've been exposed.
One mother whose 5-month-old was exposed at the center reached out to us on Facebook.
"It was a shock to hear that it happened in Kansas," parent Lindsey Jarvis said. "Then at our child's daycare in her classroom."
Infants are too young to be vaccinated, leaving them exposed to the disease. The KDHE recommends kids to get their first shot at 12-months. The childcare center was forced to close its infants room for two weeks because of the diagnosis. The health department says measles can be spread to others from 4 days before to 4 days after the rash appears.
Jarvis says she is happy with how Princeton's Children Center handled the incident and cared for the children involved.
The health department says if you think you have any symptoms of measles the best thing to do is call the doctor or hospital before you go. This will help prevent the spreading of the disease.