A chemical leak forced workers at a southwest Wichita business to evacuate Saturday afternoon.
Emergency crews were called to Farmland Foods near the intersection of Pawnee and Sheridan a little after 3 p.m., after a report of an ammonia leak.
Tammy Snow with the Wichita Fire Department says the leak was in the ammonia line in the attic area.
More than workers self-evacuated the building. Workers did attempt to turn the ammonia off, but fumes over-bearing and they evacuated. Emergency crews arrived and were able to turn off the valve.
Sedgwick County Dispatch says an employee with Farmland Foods called to report the leak. One person was hospitalized after inhaling ammonia, but has since been released.
Two others had minor injuries but refused to be treated.
"It will be a little bit of an irritant because of the smell," Snow said. "You're going to smell ammonia but at this particular time there aren't enough parts per million to be harmful to anyone."
Pawnee west of Meridian was closed down for several hours until the scene was cleared of the 100 pounds of leaked ammonia.
Hazmat crews from Sedgwick County and Wichita helped air out the building. A spokesman for Farmland Food said the company is working with Hazmat crews to clear the building to be open Monday.
Snow said the weather helped to dissipate the ammonia.