LINCOLN, Neb. -

The family of Jayden Hicks, the girl who was shocked by a city-owned junction box while playing in the rain in downtown Salina last May, said the 12-year-old died this morning. She had been in a vegetative comatose state.

It happened about 4 a.m. in the Madonna Rehabilitation Center in Lincoln. The family said her color and condtion changed Monday morning, and it was up and down from there until her death.

“It was heartbreaking, but Jayden has been through so much,” said Kim Queen, the girl's aunt. “She's been through more than any human being should ever have to go through in the last seven months, that it was also kind of a relief to know she doesn't have to suffer anymore.”

Her family remembered Jayden as someone who was full of life.

"She loved to laugh and sing and dance," Queen said. "She loved music. She had the brightest blue eyes."

Her mother and grandmother were with her at the time.

Salina’s City Manager tells Eyewitness News that the downtown lighting is in the process of being replaced.