Two storms, a month apart, with two very different outcomes for Wichita drivers.

"This time they've done a great job," said driver Donna Norris. "It seems like last time was so much different. I mean everything was snow packed and stayed that way for days."

Both storms brought heavy snowfalls and were followed by extreme cold. Yet, the snow pack on roads is completely gone on most of the main roads in Wichita. So what made the difference on the roads?

"I don't know why they didn't get out and clean them the first time. I don't know why," said Norris, shaking her head.

"They're great," said driver Don Harp. "The city's done a real good job, they did a lot of pre-salting."

"There's always opportunities for us to improve," said Alan King, director of Wichita's Public Works Department.

King says his crews didn't change anything from the way they handled the big storm last month, at least not about the decision making process.

"What is similar is that we had snowfall, it accumulated fairly rapidly, and extreme low temperatures," said King. "What is different is the amount of that snowfall that came down."

King says the heavy snowfall last month made using salt immediately a dangerous prospect. It would only have melted the first layer of snow which would then have re-frozen, slicker than ever.

"So what we do is we look at how thick that snow pack is to drive our decision on when to apply that first layer of salt and sand," said King.

This time around there wasn't quite as much snow.

Instead of using no salt on the roads in the first 24 hours of storm response, city crews used some 2,000 tons of it.

"Last time, I didn't understand why they didn't," said Norris.

And that's why King says his department has changed one thing in how it's handling storms, being more transparent.

"I think the primary lesson for us is for us to make more, better attempts at helping folks understand what we're doing and why," said King. "It's so weather driven, so weather dependent."

"I didn't default the city," said Harp. "That's just Mother Nature."

King says road crews are currently running plows with blades down trying to scrape as much of the remaining slush away as they can. They'll re-evaluate that response at midnight Monday and could switch over to just laying down salt to prevent too much re-freezing then.