HUTCHINSON, Kan. -

Hutchinson fire crews respond to an early-morning house fire. Crews were called to the home in the 600 block of E. 2nd Avenue just before 5:30 a.m.. They found a smoldering fire in the attic of the home.

Four adults were in the house at the time of the fire, they were not hurt.

Residents called the fire department after a ceiling fan fell in the kitchen. The people also told firefighters they smelled smoke in the home a few hours before calling them.

Crews spent around two hours on the scene. Damage was contained to the kitchen area of the home.

Fire officials believe the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction.

The American Red Cross was called in to help the residents find a place to stay.

Fire officials remind homeowners that this time of year can put a strain on your electrical system. If you smell smoke or a burning odor in your home, contact the fire department immediately to have them evaluate the situation.

Fire departments are equipped with devices that can find hot spots and smoldering areas behind walls and ceilings.