WICHITA, Kan. -

A fire forced a family in southwest Wichita into the cold.

The fire broke out in a one-story home in the 1900 block of South Fern just before 9 p.m. Wednesday. A 911 Wichita/Sedgwick County Dispatch Supervisor said 5 adults and 4 children were home.

Battalion Chief Tom Carney said the cause of the fire appears to be an electrical short in the home, where smoke was spotted as crews arrived on the scene.

Chief Carney called for more crews due to the cold temperatures, but turned crews around after the fire was brought quickly under control.

Damage was estimated at $12,000 to home and contents.