KC man charged in weekend standoff at Arrowhead stadium

Joshua Newton, of Kansas City, Kan. faces multiple charges after a standoff Saturday at Arrowhead Stadium.
Joshua Newton, of Kansas City, Kan. faces multiple charges after a standoff Saturday at Arrowhead Stadium.(KCTV)
Published: Sep. 12, 2020 at 2:41 PM CDT|Updated: Sep. 14, 2020 at 10:38 PM CDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (KWCH)-- Update Monday, Sept. 14, 2020: A Kansas City, Kan. man faces multiple charges in connection with reports of shots fired and an armed standoff Saturday at Arrowhead Stadium.

Prosecutors said charges against 33-year-old Joshua D. Newton include unlawful use of a weapon, armed criminal action, and making a terroristic threat, Kansas City station KCTV reports.

Police responded to the stadium where the Kansas City Chiefs play their home games at about 11 a.m. Saturday (Sept. 12) after receiving reports of a disturbance involving a weapon. KCTV reports when officers arrived, they found a groundskeeper for the Kansas City Royals who said he was disposing of grass clippings when he saw Newton walking through the parking lot. The Royals home field, Kauffman Stadium, neighbors Arrowhead Stadium.

The Royals' groundskeeper told police that when Newton saw him and turned and pulled out two handguns and began shooting at him. The groundskeeper wasn’t hit and reported running from the scene.

KCTV reported that video shows Newton walking around the stadium and holding something that looked like a gun and raising it in the air. When officers investigated Newton’s social media, they reported that he’d posted threatening messages connected with him going to the stadium.

When officers took Newton into custody, they found loaded handguns with him, KCTV reported. The station reported that Newton acknowledged that he had pointed a gun at someone during the incident.


Sunday, Sept. 13, 2020

A standoff outside Arrowhead Stadium that lasted more than six hours has ended and an armed man has been taken into custody.

Negotiations with an armed man having a mental crisis were difficult and were not going anywhere, police said.

By 6 p.m., a plan was devised to use less-lethal munitions to take the suspect into custody. Police say there are no injuries to report.

Police said the man, who was armed with more than one gun, will be taken for evaluation at a psychiatric hospital and they will continue working to determine the motive behind this incident.

Police said the man told them that he had never attended a Chiefs or Royals game. Currently, it is their understanding he is not associated with either team and has not ever worked at either stadium.

They have not yet determined if any of the multiple gunshots fired hit Arrowhead and damaged it or not. That will be determined as they continue investigating.

Police are conducting a stand-off with a gunman who is currently in the Arrowhead parking lot.

According to our sister station KCTV in Kansas City, police posted a tweet Saturday afternoon stating that an operation-100 is being conducted.

All of the entrances have been locked down and the Truman Sports Complex is closed.

“We are currently conducting an operation 100 (stand off) with an armed party. We are in contact with a party who has fired shots at Arrowhead. He is currently in the parking lot. No one has been shot. The entire complex is shut down. There are currently no sporting events being held at the complex,” David Jackson with the Kansas City Police Department said.

Police said the gunman shot at employees but no one was hit or hurt.

This is a developing story

Copyright 2020 KWCH. All rights reserved.

Latest News