Man charged with first-degree murder in deadly shooting at Stryker Sports Complex

Man arrested in connection with fatal shooting at Stryker Sports Complex
Man arrested in connection with fatal shooting at Stryker Sports Complex(KWCH)
Published: Oct. 29, 2020 at 3:11 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - Update: November 5 - The man arrested in connection to a deadly shooting at the Stryker Sports Complex last month appeared in court in Sedgwick County on Wednesday.

Maurice Hall, 23, is charged with first-degree murder and criminal possession of a firearm. Wichita police say he shot and killed Marquell Nolan after the two got into an argument at the sports complex near the end of a youth football game.

Officers arrested Hall during a traffic stop on Monday.

His bond has been set at $1 million.

Update: November 3 - Wichita Police have arrested a man in connection with a deadly shooting at Stryker Sports Complex in NE Wichita last month.

26-year-old Maurice Hall of Garland, Texas was arrested on charges of First Degree Murder, Criminal Possession of a Firearm and a misdemeanor warrant.

Police say the U.S. Marshals Service helped them arrest Hall Tuesday morning during a traffic stop at Kellogg and Main.

Hall was wanted in connection to the shooting death of 31-year-old Marquell Nolen of

Wichita, who was shot to death on October 21 at Stryker Sports Complex at 2999 N. Greenwich in Wichita.

Police say Nolen was at the Sports Complex, and started arguing with Hall on the west side of the stadium bleachers. During the argument, police say Hall pulled out a handgun and fired multiple shots, striking Nolen.

Nolen was taken to the hospital in a private vehicle by two individuals with him at the Sports Complex, while Hall took off on foot.

No one else was hurt.

Police say the incident was not random, and was not related to games being played or officiated at the time.

The Wichita Police Department asks for assistance in its search for the 23-year-old Garland, Texas man they say shot and killed 31-year-old Marquell Nolen last Wednesday (Oct. 21, 2020) at the Stryker Sports Complex in the 2900 block of North Greenwich Road, in northeast Wichita. Police say Maurice Hall shot Nolen after a verbal argument.

At about 9:30 p.m. Oct. 21, Wichita police officers responded to an unknown call for police at Stryker. When they arrived, the officers heard multiple gunshots. While officers were on the scene, police said Nolen arrived at a local hospital where he died from his injuries. The investigation revealed that Nolen and Hall had an argument on the west side of the stadium bleachers and during that argument, Hall pulled out a handgun and shot Nolen. A private vehicle took Nolen to the hospital. No one else was injured. Police said Hall fled on foot.

“This was not a random incident, and Hall and Nelson were known to each other,” police said. “Additionally, the incident was not related to games being played or officiated.”

Police said the examination of evidence, tips to Crime Stoppers, and to the WPD from the community, led investigators to learn about Hall’s involvement in the shooting. Police warned that Hall should be considered armed and dangerous and anyone who sees him or knows where he could be should call 911. Anyone with additional information on the case can call WPD detectives at 316-268-4407 or Crime Stoppers at 316-267-2111.

Copyright 2020 KWCH. All rights reserved.