Advertisement

Teenager dies after Friday duplex fire

A woman was critically injured in a duplex fire in west Wichita on Friday.
A woman was critically injured in a duplex fire in west Wichita on Friday.(KWCH)
Published: Feb. 19, 2021 at 3:40 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) -

UPDATE: 2/20/2021 10:30 AM

A 17-year-old girl has died after a a duplex fire caused by a grease pan left on the stove Friday afternoon.

Wichita fire investigators say the 17-year-old was studying in her bedroom when she saw smoke and alerted her grandmother.

When firefighters arrived on scene, they learned the girl was trapped in a back bedroom. Firefighters found the 17-year-old and pulled her out of the burning duplex.

She was then taken to the hospital where she died from smoke inhalation.

No one else was hurt.

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) -

A woman suffered very critical injuries in a duplex fire Friday afternoon.

Wichita firefighters responded to the call in the 3000 block of W. Newell Street around 2:30 p.m. They were informed that a person was inside. Additional crews were dispatched to assist with search and rescue and fire attack.

Crews located the woman inside with very critical injuries. She was taken to Ascension Via Christi St. Francis for treatment.

The fire was contained to the kitchen area. Investigators are now looking into how it started. They are also interviewing another person who lives in the unit.

Crews said the side of the duplex where the fire happened is not liveable. The other side was not affected.

Copyright 2021 KWCH. All rights reserved.