Advertisement

WFD warns against improperly discarded cigarettes after recent fires to apartment complex, duplex

Published: Apr. 2, 2021 at 12:02 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - Update: A cigarette is likely the cause of an apartment fire in northeast Wichita. Two residents suffered critical injuries in the fire, the Wichita Fire Department said Friday morning.

This is the second fire this week with a similar cause. A discarded cigarette was also to blame for a duplex fire in west Wichita on Monday.

“It’s preventable from the point of being able to know how to properly dispose of ciagrettes,” said Battalion Chief Jose Ocadiz. “That’s the message that we need to have everybody understand.”

Fire investigators said damage estimates to the apartment complex are $1 million for the structure and $300,000 for its contents. The Red Cross was called out for residents after the fire either damaged or destroyed 16 units.

Wichita Fire crews encountered smoke and flames in response to a Thursday night apartment fire in northeast Wichita. A third alarm was requested with the fire reported a little before 11 p.m. in the 1900 block of North Rock Road. A Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor confirmed two people were taken to a local hospital with critical injuries.

Eyewitness News sent a crew to gather further information on what led up to the fire. As of midnight, the dispatch supervisor relayed that a preliminary “all clear” was given for most of the building that was involved as crews fought to gain the upper hand.

Look for updates as they become available, here and on Eyewitness News This Morning, starting at 4:30 a.m.

Copyright 2021 KWCH. All rights reserved.