Stafford County teen bitten by snake, treated at Wichita hospital

Updated: Jun. 4, 2021 at 6:09 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - A 13-year-old boy from Stafford County was airlifted to Wesley Medical Center in Wichita after being bitten by a venomous snake while outside mowing.

The boy was released from the hospital Friday afternoon and is expected to make a full recovery. His mother said the bite happened Thursday. She believes the culprit was “some type of rattlesnake.” The animal bit the teen when he tried to move it.

Experts say encounters with rattlesnakes are rare in Kansas, but are more common over the summer months. As temperatures rise in Kansas, snakes start hiding in plain sight, and although bites are rare, venomous snakes are found in some areas of the state, including in Stafford County.

The Kansas Wildlife Exhibit has tips to avoid a potentially deadly situation when it comes to snakes: Be cautious near tall grass, trash water, or wood piles, wear boots or long pants to offer an extra layer of protection from unexpected encounters and, most importantly, leave snakes alone. Wildlife experts say a majority of snakebites happen when people try to move snakes

“If you are trying to move a snake, be as cautious as possible,” said Todd Volkmann with the Kansas Wildlife Exhibit. “If it’s outside, generally leave it alone and you should be okay.”

Eyewitness News also spoke with doctors about what to do if you’re bitten by a snake. They say to never assume the snake is not venomous and that you should get medical attention immediately, even if it’s just a precaution.

Copyright 2021 KWCH. All rights reserved.