2 killed after shootings, house fire in Tucson; children found safe

The suspect, an unnamed 35-year-old man, was shot after opening fire on a police officer. He...
The suspect, an unnamed 35-year-old man, was shot after opening fire on a police officer. He was taken to the hospital in critical condition.(Source: KOLD News 13)
Published: Jul. 19, 2021 at 1:40 AM CDT|Updated: Jul. 19, 2021 at 8:30 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

TUCSON, Ariz. (KOLD/Gray News) - Police have confirmed that children who were unaccounted for after a deadly shooting spree and house fire on Sunday have been located and are safe, KOLD reported.

Police did not say how many children they were looking for and have not yet provided additional information about the circumstances of how they were found.

At least two people were killed Sunday, and several more were injured in the shootings and the house fire.

Tucson Police Chief Chris Magnus said on Sunday the incidents began with a call about a house fire at 3:45 p.m.

At the same time, an armed suspect went to the Quincie Douglas Center at Silverlake Park and approached an ambulance that was in the area for a separate call but staging as a backup for the house fire.

Magnus said the suspect, an unnamed 35-year-old man, opened fire on the EMTs, hitting one in the head and one in the arm and chest.

The 20-year-old EMT who was shot in the head was taken to the hospital in critical condition while the other, a 21-year-old, was stable, according to Magnus.

Magnus said the 21-year-old EMT was able to call for help and describe the suspect and his vehicle, a silver SUV.

Several Tucson Fire Department vehicles arrived at the house fire and began battling the blaze, along with help from neighbors.

The suspect returned to the home and fired at fire crews and neighbors.

One of the neighbors, a 44-year-old, was hit in the head and died. Another neighbor was grazed and is OK.

A fire captain, a 17-year veteran of the fire department, was hit in the arm and was in good condition. Fire Chief Chuck Ryan said the captain was released from the hospital Sunday night.

“We are shocked and saddened at this senseless act, and we are praying for our injured partners from AMR Ambulance,” Ryan wrote on Twitter. “Also, I am thankful for the swift actions of our #TucsonPolice to neutralize the threat to the community. More to come, but a dark day for Tucson.”

Magnus said the suspect drove away in the silver SUV and disabled a police cruiser by ramming it.

The suspect then fired at the officer as the officer got out of his vehicle. The officer shot back and stopped the suspect, who was taken to a hospital in critical condition.

Magnus said a body was recovered from the home, but it was too burned to determine the age or sex of the victim.

Two or three children that live at the home were unaccounted for until police said Monday morning that they were safe.

“This is a really horrific incident, and our hearts go out obviously to those who are concerned about their loved ones with more serious injuries. We just don’t know,” Magnus said.

Copyright 2021 KOLD via Gray Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved.