Man killed in officer-involved shooting after hours-long standoff in NW Wichita

Police presence on N Milstead Rd.
Police presence on N Milstead Rd.(KWCH)
Published: May. 25, 2022 at 7:21 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - Update Wednesday night: It was wet and rainy day for Wichita Police Department officers outside a northwest Wichita home as they negotiated with a suspect inside. Eventually, the situation escalated to a point at which officers shot and killed the man.

Police responded to a reported shooting at the home in the area of 119th Street West and Central at about 1:30 a.m. Wednesday morning. When officers arrived, they found two people outside the home and learned a 39-year-old suspect pointed a gun at them and fired a single shot. Responding officers then saw the suspect go back inside of the home with the gun. Police also learned two more people identified as victims in this case were inside the home.

The SWAT Team was called and negotiations began using de-escalation tactics. The standoff lasted all of Wednesday morning. Police said they were able to get two victims out of the home. At about 10:30 am. , the SWAT Team was able to get inside and gunfire was exchanged. Police say the suspect was shot and the man died at the scene. None of the four people identified as victims were injured.

Police haven’t disclosed the suspect’s identity, but we do know he had an active warrant on aggravated kidnapping charges.

Update 3:56 p.m. - Police shot and killed a man following a standoff that started early Wednesday morning in northwest Wichita.

Police were called to a home in the 500 block of N. Milstead around 1:30 a.m. They arrived and found two victims outside the home. Officers then learned a 39-year-old male suspect was still in the home, along with two other victims. Police said the man pointed a gun at them and fired a single shot, then retreated back inside.

The SWAT team was called out and negotiators began using de-escalation tactics, and officers were able to get the two victims out of the home.

Around 10:30 a.m., the SWAT team went inside the home and exchanged gunfire with the suspect. They said the suspect was hit and died on the scene. None of the victims had physical injuries.

Police have not identified the suspect, but we do know he had an active warrant out for his arrest on aggravated kidnapping charges.

Update 10:30 a.m. Police say they were dispatched to a report of a shooting around 1:30 a.m. early Wednesday when they found a juvenile girl outside the residence. They say a man ran into the home with a gun, and police were informed that other people were inside.

A short time later, some people exited the home, but there was a verbal altercation with a male suspect, who made verbal threats.

There have been no arrests, and the suspect remains inside the home.

Dispatch tells Eyewitness News that police are responding to an active incident in the 500 block of N. Milstead in northwest Wichita. Dispatchers did not provide additional information as we attempt to gather more information.

The KWCH reporter on the scene says there is a large police presence, including SWAT, in the area, in addition to at least two EMS vehicles. We do not have any additional information from police, but as we follow the story we will provide additional information when it becomes available.

Copyright 2022 KWCH. All rights reserved.