Great Bend explosion linked to ‘significant gas leak’ ignited inside home
GREAT BEND, Kan. (KWCH) - Update: The City of Great Bend said a home explosion that happened early Wednesday morning was linked to a significant gas leak inside the residence “ignited by a source inside of the structure.”
“Our testing showed that the gas line from the main to the structure was intact and was not leaking,” the city said.
One person was injured in the explosion. No condition update was given.
One person suffered critical injuries in an early Wednesday morning explosion at a Great Bend home. A little after 3 a.m. the Great Bend Fire Department responded to the reported explosion and possible house fire in the 700 block of 10th Street, near the Baltzell Hotel.
“Upon arrival, crews found a large debris field with a structure that had been mostly destroyed and was on fire,” Great Bend Fire/EMS said.
Crews conducted a quick search of the house and removed an injured man, taken to a local hospital for treatment.
“Crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire and secure the scene,” Great Bend Fire/EMS said.
The Great Bend Fire Department reported the explosion caused “significant damage to neighborhood structures and vehicles.”
The fire department and the Kansa Fire Marshal are investigating the house explosion and fire.
Great Bend resident Butch Leuenberger described hearing “a big boom,” and then hearing the house shake. It was an experience, he described as being like “we were in a war or something.”
Copyright 2023 KWCH. All rights reserved. To report a correction or typo, please email firstname.lastname@example.org