Ark City standoff ends peacefully, 2 arrested

The Arkansas City Police Department is in a standoff with an armed woman.
The Arkansas City Police Department is in a standoff with an armed woman.(Kelsi Ford | Gray/CBS)
Published: Apr. 22, 2023 at 1:05 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

ARKANSAS CITY, Kan. (KWCH) - Update: Law enforcement officials in Arkansas City confirm two people are in custody following a standoff in the 1300 block of N. A Street. Traffic is now reopened in the area.

Police said around 11:34 a.m. on Saturday, police were called to the 1300 block of North A Street for a report of a woman threatening people with a gun. Officers quickly arrived and located Jesse Shae Simmons, 44, of Winfield.

Police said Simmons pointed a handgun at the three responding officers, then brandished a machete and hammer. Officers created a perimeter and requested additional resources. Law enforcement from the Cowley County Sheriff’s Office, the Winfield Police Department, the Kansas Highway Patrol, the Southern Kansas SWAT Team, the Arkansas City Emergency Management, and the Cowley College Criminal Justice program, all responded to the scene.

The situation turned into a standoff with Simmons and an unknown passenger in a vehicle parked in the driveway at 1323 N. A St. Police believe Simmons had no tie to the location. They later learned the vehicle she was in became disabled at this location.

Attempts to make phone contact with Simmons by law enforcement were not effective. However, officers worked through friends and family to reach Simmons with no positive results.

Just before 3:45 p.m., occupants of the truck tried moving the vehicle, and it was at this time the Kansas Highway Patrol moved in with an armored vehicle to ensure that the vehicle did not leave the perimeter.

Shortly after the armored vehicle moved in, Alyna Arran Alvarado, age 33 of Winfield, surrendered to law enforcement without issue. About four minutes later, Simmons surrendered also without incident.

Both Simmons and Alvarado were taken into custody without injury and were evaluated medically before being taken to the Cowley County Jail. Both individuals are being held on a $100,000 bond for charges in Arkansas City and from an incident earlier in the county.

“We are very thankful to have the standoff ended the way it did, with everyone being safe and unharmed,” Police Chief Eric Burr said. “The response from area law enforcement and the professionalism displayed were appreciated and contributed to a positive outcome.”

Both Simmons and Alvarado are facing charges that include several counts of aggravated assault.

An armed woman is currently in a standoff with Arkansas City police, Ark City resident Kelsi Ford said. Ford is a neighbor who lives near where the standoff is happening.

The standoff is near the 1300 block of N. A Street.

Ford said the roads are blocked off and police are armed with rifles.

Police are yelling “drop your weapon” at the woman, Ford said. A SWAT team is also at the scene, Ford said.

KWCH has not yet had this information confirmed by police. We’ll update this story as more information becomes available.