WPD: Mother dies from injuries to head, body, son arrested

Wichita police arrested 21-year-old Devin Joel in connection with his mother's death.
Wichita police arrested 21-year-old Devin Joel in connection with his mother's death.(Sedgwick County Sheriff's Office)
Published: May. 30, 2023 at 8:23 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - Update: The Wichita Police Department identified a woman killed and her 21-year-old son arrested in connection with her death. WPD on Tuesday reported arresting Devin Nicolas Joel on a charge of first-degree murder.

At about 5:15 p.m. Tuesday, WPD officers responded to a clubbing in the area of 5700 East Central. That’s where they found 46-year-old Kacey Joel, visibly injured, lying in the backyard of a home.

“Officers immediately rendered aid and she was transported to a local area hospital. Kacey sustained significant trauma to her body and later died from her injuries,” police said.

Witnesses reported seeing Devin Joel running from the scene. Police reported officers quickly finding him and arresting him after a brief foot pursuit.

“Devin made comments that he was going to die by suicide by cop and was yielding a knife when officers confronted him. The officers were able to get him to put the knife down and he was taken into custody without incident,” WPD said.

A Wichita woman died Tuesday evening and her son has been arrested in connection to her death.

Wichita police said they received a call to 911 around 5:15 p.m. from a man who said that he had hit his mother over the head with a rock.

Lt. Krys Henderson, Watch Commander for the Wichita Police Department’s Patrol East said officers responded to a home in 5700 E. Central where they found a 46-year-old woman with severe injuries to her head and upper body. The woman was moved from the backyard so she could be treated by EMS. She was taken to the hospital with critical injuries.

Around that same time, Henderson said police received additional calls about a man in his 20s who had run from the residence. Officers found a man matching the description carrying a large knife. He was taken into custody without incident.

Henderson said the woman died at the hospital around 6:15 p.m.

Henderson said there is no threat to the public. Homicide detectives and investigators will remain on the scene throughout the evening.