Man burned in fire that killed daughter to be released from hospital

Published: Nov. 24, 2017 at 5:19 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

UPDATE - (Monday a.m.): The man severely burned in a fire that left his two-year-old daughter dead is expected to be released from the hospital today.

Wichita fire officials are still looking for a cause for the fire, but say it is not suspicious.


UPDATE Sunday 9:46 p.m.

The family of a 2-year-old is grieving after a Friday morning fire killed the child and severely injured her father.

Eyewitness News spoke with several members of the family about baby Aaliyah.

"I saw the house, and I saw her, and I broke down. I didn't believe it at first. I still don't believe it," says Leslie Knopick.

Aaliyah's mother says the 2-year-old made the whole world light up. Two days before she died, she remembers the last time she saw her daughter.

"I was about to leave and she looked like she was about to start crying, so I went back and gave her five more kisses and told her it's okay I'll see you next week. Then I left. That is the last memory I have with her."

The Knopick family is in shock and heartbroken after little Aaliyah died in a house fire in NE Wichita.

"Sometimes you feel as a grandparent you should go before your kids or your grandkids," says her grandfather Michael Knopick.

Aaliyah's father remains in the hospital with second-degree burns and cuts across his body.

The family says he is desperately tried to save his daughter.

Fire investigators haven't said what caused the fire but the family believes it was an electrical problem.

To donate to the family to help with funeral costs, you can visit their



UPDATE Saturday, 2:25 p.m.

The family of a 2-year-old who died in a Friday morning house fire identify the little girl and share information about how they believe the fire started.

According to her aunt, Lori Misuaca, the 2-year-old's name is Aaliyah. She says she was a precious little girl in the short amount of time she got to know her.

The woman shared photos with Eyewitness News and a


"She was so inquisitive and .. just smart and the things we would do in the restaurant, she had such manners and she would say thank you to the waiters who would come," says Misuaca.

According to the GoFundMe, Aaliyah died Friday morning after her and her father's northeast Wichita home caught fire.

The page explains that Aaliyah's father tried to rescue her; he was burned throughout his body in the attempt and remains in the hospital in serious condition.

The family says they do not know the exact cause of the fire yet, but believe it originated from faulty electric in the girl's bedroom.

Her family says Aaliyah leaves behind an older sister.

"She loved her big sister Briana and Briana loved Aaliyah. She was vibrant and full of energy and just adorable," says her aunt.

The fire started sometime Friday morning in the southeast corner of a home near 17th and Lorraine.

Crews on scene say they didn't have a cause for the fire and it was under investigation.

To donate to the family to help with funeral costs, you can visit their



A two-year-old girl died and her father suffered critical injuries in a northeast Wichita house fire Friday morning.

Emergency crews were called to the 1800 block of N. Lorraine around 5 a.m.

Neighbors say they could see heavy smoke coming from the back of the home where the toddler stayed.

The father and daughter were the only residents who lived in the home. Firefighters say they were asleep when the fire started.

"It's sad that that little girl had to die in a fire," said neighbor Nancy Titchenor. "She was always out there playing and stuff. I'd see her walking with her dad. It's sad."

Neighbors say the man jumped through one of the windows on his house then went around on the other side and try to get through another window in an attempt to save his daughter. He suffered burns to his torso.

"They're trying to cope with it, he tries to speak about it and what happened and of course tears, and we make a lot of prayers for them. This is difficult for anyone to lose a child like that," said Hassam Madi, a spokesman for the Islamic Society of Wichita.

That is where the man oftentimes took his daughter to pray. He says the man is from Nigeria but moved to Wichita six years ago.

"He's a good guy, he was a good father, I watched his girl a couple times, she was really a sweet little girl," said Titchenor.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation.