Second man dies after Thursday shooting

Published: May. 21, 2020 at 6:08 PM CDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
UPDATE: May 26, 10:15 a.m

A second man injured in a W. Wichita shooting last Thursday has died.

The Wichita Police Department says 19-year-old Jahbreel Rounds died Monday at the hospital.

21-year-old Earnest Jefferson also died in the shooting at 13th and West Street.

Two people have been arrested in the case, 20-year-old Missy Barber of Wichita and 18-year-old Preston Reynolds both face 1st-degree murder and aggravated battery charges.

Police say officers were called to a report of a shooting at an apartment complex shortly after 5:00 Thursday. When they got there, they found Jefferson dead at the scene, and Rounds in the parking lot with multiple gunshot wounds.

Police investigators say Barber and Reynolds drove to the apartment complex to conduct a drug transaction with Jefferson and Rounds. While they were in the parking lot, they got into a fight, and shots were fired. Rounds, Jefferson and Reynolds were all hurt.

Police say Reynolds and Barber left the scene, but were located later and arrested without further incident.

According to a post on Northwest High School's Facebook page, Rounds played football for the Grizzlies.

A fundraiser has been set up for his family, you can donate


Wichita police arrested a man and a woman in connection to a deadly shooting on Thursday.

Twenty-year-old Missy Barber and 18-year-old Preston Reynolds were booked into the Sedgwick County Detention Facility on charges of first-degree murder and aggravated battery.

Around 5 p.m. Thursday, officers responded to the shooting near 13th and Webb Street. When the officers arrived, they found 21-year-old Earnest Jefferson with multiple gunshot wounds, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

A 19-year-old was also found at the scene with multiple gunshot wounds and was transported to an area hospital for treatment and remains in critical condition.

Around 5:40 p.m. Reynolds arrived at an area hospital with a gunshot wound in his leg, where he was treated and then booked into jail.

During the investigation, officers found out about Barber's involvement in the shooting and she was arrested without incident at an apartment complex in the 1700 block of South Glenn.

Barber and Reynolds were meeting with Jefferson and the 19-year-old for a drug transaction. While they were in their vehicle, a disturbance occurred and shots were fired, according to Wichita Police. Reynolds and Barber left the scene.

The investigation is ongoing.


An active investigation continues at a west Wichita apartment complex after police respond to the report of two men injured in a Thursday evening shooting.

Police didn't identify the men, but say they are about 19 and 20 years old.

The shooting happened a little after 5 p.m. at the Magnolia Woods Apartments near 13th and West Street.

As of Thursday night, police continued interviewing witnesses and have not confirmed any arrests in this case.

The Wichita Police Department says it expects to have further information to release Friday morning.

Latest News

Latest News