Alarm company helps save lives of W. Kan. family

Published: Aug. 3, 2017 at 7:03 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A Western Kansas family wants you to know the dangers of carbon monoxide.

The family had a scare this summer. Thursday, they met the people who helped save their lives.

Greg and Wrenn Slaven stood in front of a crowd in Wichita Thursday, telling the story of how they nearly lost their lives.

"Both of us just said we feel really sleep and I said, 'I'm going to go to bed too,'" Wrenn says.

It happened in June in their Cimarron home. Wrenn says she and Greg fell asleep and woke up to someone pounding on their door.

"(The) Slavens then answered the door. (It) was obvious to was was going on," Cimarron Fire Chief Rex Beemer says.

A faulty water heater caused dangerous levels of carbon monoxide to leak into the home, but the Slavens didn't hear the alarm. It was the couple's security system that notified first responders.

Nearly two months later, the Slavens are coming face to face with one of the ADT Security workers who made the call to get the Slavens help.

"That's what people don't realize. "It was life or death for us," Greg says.