Ark City teen dies from injuries in accidental shooting

Published: Nov. 12, 2019 at 4:00 PM CST
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Update Thursday, Nov. 14, 2019

As the investigation into an Ark City teen's shooting death continues, family remembers the 17-year-old Jonathan Szymoniak.

The teen died Wednesday after police say he was unintentionally shot in the face. The reported accidental shooting happened Saturday night.

Szymoniak's mother, Natasha Szymoniak says Jonathan and his 19-year-old step brother had a handgun in Jonathan's bedroom. The stepbrother accidentally fired the gun, the mother says. Police say the bullet ricocheted off Jonathan's phone and struck him in the jaw.

"It was a complete accident and I will fight tooth and nail for my step son," Natasha Szymoniak says.

She says Jonathan's memory will live on in his unborn son, his family and his friends.

"There's always going to be that void that I'm missing, walking the last 17 years of my life with my son by side," Natasha says. "But now I'm ready to give the remaining days of my life with him inside my heart, but also walking with my grandson."

While police say the shooting was accidental, the shooting remains under investigation and an autopsy is pending.


Update Wednesday, Nov. 13, 2019

An Ark City teen hospitalized after a weekend shooting dies from his injuries Cowley County


The news source reports from 17-year-old Jonathan Szymoniak, the teen died Wednesday afternoon. The teen's mother tells NewsCow the shooting was accidental.

She says Jonathan's 19-year-old stepbrother accidentally shot him. The teen was shot in the face, NewsCow reports.

As of Wednesday night, the case remains under investigation.


Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2019

The Ark City Police Department says a 17-year-old was critically injured in a shooting reported Saturday night.

A little before 10 p.m. Saturday, police say Ark city Fire-EMS and police departments responded to a home in the 500 block of South D Street for a report of a gunshot victim.

"First responders arrived and located a 17-year-old Ark City male with a gunshot wound," police say.

An ambulance took the teen to South Central Kansas Medical Center. From there, he was airlifted to a Wichita hospital.

Police say there haven't been charges filed at this time, but the shooting remains under investigation.

Latest News